System Center adoption is revenue neutral due to competitive product replacement.
Our customer is a 5,000 seat international law firm with offices in 11 countries. Apajove were approached to provide technology workshops around the products available to the firm through their Microsoft Enterprise licensing agreement. The focus of the workshops was around Windows 8 client deployment and toolset rationalisation.
The existing client desktop environment was Windows XP managed by the Symantec Altiris suite. A 3rd Party disk encryption system was in use, anti-virus was provided by Trend. A monitoring solution from Nimsoft was used for server and network monitoring, the IT Service desk used Service Now.
With a focus on toolset replacement and employing the tools available in the EA, Apajove provided guidance around the following areas.
- Windows 8.1 deployment using System Center Configuration Manager
- Replacement of Symantec Altiris for all ongoing systems management functions including:
- Application deployment – including the Configuration Manager application catalogue
- Software Update Management
- Remote Control
- OS deployment
- Replacement of Trend OfficeScan with System Center Endpoint Protection.
- Replacement of Checkpoint Endpoint Encryption with BitLocker during the Windows 8.1 deployment
- Implementation of Microsoft BitLocker Administration and Monitoring (MBAM) from the MDOP suite to provide enhanced BitLocker management and reporting both within MBAM and within Configuration Manager.
- Implementation of System Center Operations Manager 2012 for monitoring of the global network, servers, Windows OS, core Microsoft applications, line of business applications including document management systems, intranet and public facing websites and other infrastructure elements. This solution replaced a monitoring platform from Nimsoft.
- Adoption of System Center Service Manager and System Center Orchestrator to replace Service Now for Incident Problem and Change Management functions. Through the Orchestrator integration we provide Service request automation for user start and leave processes, for software request, shared folder access, group membership, etc.
Through the adoption of the System Center product suite Smith & Son have removed over £300,000 of 3rd party licensed products from the environment and delivered he following benefits:
Improved interoperability between management tools
- The Service Manager CMDB is populated by the inventory from Configuration Manager, AD account details and metadata from Operations Manager.
- Operations Manager alerts can be forwarded into Service Manager to create helpdesk incidents.
- Service Manager tracks user machine affinity assisting service desk users with troubleshooting as users do not need to know the name of their computer.
- Configuration Manager remote control is invoked directly from the incident form streamlining the 1st and 2nd line support process.
- Distributed application models constructed in Service Manager are referenced in Service Manager providing detailed Business Service change and incident management capabilities.
- Deployment of BitLocker managed by System Center Configuration Manager. Ongoing encryption status monitored by Configuration Manager.
Improved end-user experience
- Disk encryption is transparent to the end user. No pre-boot authentication required, so only one password to remember.
- Internet-based client management of devices with Configuration Manager ensures that machines are kept up to date with the latest patches whenever they are online. This removes the problem of coming back into the office after several weeks away and requiring many patches to be deployed. Also permits the deployment of new applications to users without the need for VPN or on-site visit.
- Service Request Fulfilment enables users to ‘shop’ for solutions providing a quicker response from the service desk and improving consistency.
Reduced Management Tool Count
- One product suite for all day-to-day management tasks
- Familiar interfaces across all tools
- Analysis Services backed reporting interface to CMDB, provides familiar interface (Excel) for report and dashboard creation.